Many students work and study at the same time. Having a part-time job or summer work is very common in the Czech Republic. There are working options for international students as well, just be prepared that the job offer may be limited due to the fact that most jobs require fluency in the Czech language. However, there are many international companies operating in big cities, where your ability to speak or understand various languages can be a plus.

Salary information:
Minimum gross salary for full-time jobs (40 hours per week): 11 000 CZK per month or 66 CZK per hour
Average gross salary for full-time jobs (40 hours per week): 27 889 CZK per month (in 2017)
Typical rate for part-time jobs: around 100 CZK per hour for administrative work

For current exchange rates click here

Can I work while or after studying?

Would you like to find a job in the Czech Republic while or after your studies at university? The process depends on where are you coming from, and if you are a full-time student or a graduate.

EU/EEA or Switzerland citizens

A citizen of the EU/EEA country and Switzerland or his or her family member does not need an employment permit, Employee Card or Blue Card to be employed in the territory of the Czech Republic. These workers have the same legal status as citizens of the Czech Republic, as the country is a member of the European Union. More information

Third country citizens

If you are a third country citizen, you are allowed to work while studying, but please bear in mind that you are in the Czech Republic with a study visa for study purposes, therefore paid work can not be your primary occupation during your stay. Your work should not affect your studies.

Third country students who are studying in a present (daily) form of studies in a degree programme accredited by the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports in the Czech Republic don´t need an employment permit. The employer is only obliged to notify the relevant regional office of the Public Employment Service of the start of your work.

Third country students who come only for a student exchange or study in a distance form of studies, are allowed to work without an employment permit too, but only if they are up to the age of 26 and their performance of work does not exceed 7 consecutive calendar days or a total of 30 days within a calendar year.

In all other cases, the citizens who do not come from EU/EEA countries or Switzerland, may be employed in the Czech Republic if they have obtained an employment permit and a residence permit, or an Employee Card or a Blue Card (both cards combines a work permit and residence permit in one document). The local Employment Office shall always be the relevant one for issuing the employment permit. The procedure of application for such a permit is described h ere. The work permit is issued for a definite period of time, the maximum of two years, however; a foreigner may even apply for an employment permit repeatedly. Please note, that the work permit is only valid for the employment with the employer specified in the decision; this also applies to the type and place of work.

If you are a third country citizen, you obtained your university education in the Czech Republic, you had already finished your studies, and you want to stay in the Czech Republic to work, you have to apply for an employ ee card. Foreign nationals who have obtained university education in the Czech Republic have free access to the labour market. In this case the employee card serves merely as a long-term residence permit where the purpose of the foreign national’s stay (longer than 3 months) is employment.

More information at Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs of the Czech Republic. Legal advice at Integration Centre Prague or Association for Integration and Migration.

How to find a job

When looking for a job, try career centres and info desks in universities first, as the faculties should have contacts in a variety of industries. You should also ask your friends, classmates, local students or professors. Besides, you can start your search through the job portals or try direct contact with someone from a chosen company.

Most popular job portals in the Czech Reublic are:

It is usual to send an e-mail to a potential employer; phone calls are not normally preferred. You should send a CV together with a motivational letter. Be prepared for an interview.

EU Blue Card

EU Blue Card is a work permit issued by 25 out of 28 EU Member States to highly-qualified non-EU citizens. Its intention is to stimulate economic development by making Europe a desirable destination for qualified workers to practice professional knowledge and skills as well as allowing free movement within the European Union for non-EU citizens. Learn more here!